Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Welcome to the Shenandoahs

Well today was truly an exception. Normally when it's hot, that clean-
just showered-wearing clean clothes feeling lasts 4 maybe 5 minutes,
tops, after returning to the trail. Today it lasted most of the
morning because of a front that brought cooler temps and low
humidity. A nice breeze for most of the day kept a lot of the bugs at
bay. It felt fabulous!

I learned a most valuable lesson yesterday. When I was at the local
Waynesboro duds-n-suds, I put everything in the dryer for only a
couple of minutes on high heat...you know, I thought the heat would
kill some of the funk that even a washing machine cannot remove. Well
a funny thing is apparently synthetic fibers melt and even begin to
burn, oddly enough, in commercial-grade high heat dryers. Now of
course in retrospect this makes perfect sense and I should have known
that, but as I sit here in my closed up tent, other than the fresh
stinky sock smell that happens to permeate EVERYTHING I OWN...
permanently, I have now added a new smell to the what should have been
somewhat clean clothes smell...burned polypropylene...that once used
to be sock liners. Huh. Go figure.

Even getting a late start out of town this morning (I was leisurely
taking advantage of the continental breakfast), I was able to hike
20.2 miles today. I have to admit, I have found the answer. It's
true... I have resorted to drugs. No silly, not that kind. Caffeine!
Because I do not drink coffee regularly anymore, the smallest amount
gives me the best kick ever! Wow. Two cups of coffee this morning and
I was good to go. I should have thought of this hundreds of miles ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment