Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mile 1,126.3

Aaahhhhh Pennsylvania. I am just figuring out what this state means in
terms of the Appalachian Trail. This is what I know so far.... I am
definitely not in the south anymore. For sure. They say "pop" here
which is so cool. "Do you want a pop?", "Why yes, I would love a
pop!" They also don't go for any of that chitchatty southern small
talk. When I pass someone on the trail and yell out "Well haaayyyy,
how y'all doin'?" They just give me a little nod AT MOST. Sometimes
they don't even look up!!! Another hiker (from Pennsylvania) said,
"They just don't want to get involved". What??? Ok, whatever, I won't
go there. I had NO idea I came from such an over-the-top friendly kind
of place...but I sure am glad!
Oh, and the other thing I have learned about Pennsylvania? It's
nothing but a huge pile of rocks. No offense, but I am totally
serious. There is a little dirt sprinkled here and there...I guess
enough to grow some corn...ok, LOTS of corn...but the rest is all
rocks. And they say I haven't even gotten to the rocky parts yet. Huh?

I did really enjoy Boiling Springs. I stayed a day and a half at the
most wonderful Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse. Yes, you read
correctly...Marge and Lefty got most of their demands met with an
extended amount of recuperation time and yes, I said playhouse. I
missed the dinner theatre, but I had such a wonderful, relaxing visit.
The food was outstanding. Hurray!

3 comments:

  1. I am sure Marge and Lefty appreciated the break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog!~Have LOTS to catch up on!!! I'm in awe! So proud of you for your big adventure! I'll be reading along and along to catch up...
    Sandra from Cumberland Island, GA
    (where it's high 90's and 98% humidity and very buggy, and we just go on and on all day with the chit chat... I mean, you just would not believe what we will talk about... tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you are in Yankee territory!

    ReplyDelete