Friday, June 11, 2010

Did I mention this place is infested with bears?

Today has been an unusual and surreal day on the Appalachian Trail. In
addition to being my biggest mileage day at just over 23, I ate at two
restaurants today. A portabello mushroom sandwich for lunch at Big
Meadows lodge, and a veggie quesadilla and chocolate cake for dinner
at Skyland lodge. Now that's a day on the trail! I also found myself
somehow at one point today in the middle of a giant hiking club from
Ohio out for a hike. Seriously, there were like 50 people that got off
this huge chartered bus and then all of a sudden, I was in the middle.
I hiked with them for about a half a mile. It was really cool though.
They were asking all kinds of questions and I enjoyed being part of
their group for a few minutes. It was like being the new kid at school.

I was looking for a campsite just before dark, and I look up at this
rocky outcropping area that has some nice grassy patches. I thought
what a great spot...it was nice and windy and had a great view... And
then I saw it. The tiniest little bear cub....right in the middle of
the nice flat grassy spot that was the only nice flat grassy spot for
miles. Huh. So, I continue down the mountain and decide I would just
head to the next shelter and camp there. Then I hear a twig snap and I
look over and see a HUGE bear. The biggest one I have ever seen. And
because I hear something rummaging around behind me, literally as I
write, I am pretty sure it followed me here.

3 comments:

  1. This is getting scary. How does Drew cope with the anxiety?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is getting pretty scary! You need to stop right now and get out of bear country right away. Please don't end another posting with. " bears are everywhere then I heard a twig snap and I am pretty sure he followed me here...
    Don't make me call the Virginia bear patrol.
    Anonymous Parent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rabid - this is Sue - a member of the hiking group you encountered from Ohio. We enjoyed your comments about us in your blog on June 10, we enjoyed your company, glad you felt the same. Several of us are following your progress. As hikers, we can appreciate your desire and efforts in completing your journey. Best of luck to you, we'll be checking in on you.

    ReplyDelete