Thursday, June 10, 2010

All hail the Nutty Buddy ice cream bar!

After I finished writing my post last night, I realized there was a
bear up in a tree about 10' away from my tent. He made such a racket
all night. He was breaking branches and digging around on the ground
for hours. Then I heard another one behind my campspot as well. They
finally went away when it started raining about 1:30am. It was not a
peaceful night needless to say.

The entire goal for today was to get to the Lewis Mountain campground
campstore before they closed at 7pm which was 20.6 miles from where I
sleepily woke up this morning. Yes, I hiked like a madwoman all day
just to get a Nutty Buddy ice cream cone. And...I would do it again.
When I arrived at 6:15pm, they were closed even though my book said
they were open until 7. I kept knocking on the door and eventually the
guy let me in. I promised to be a good customer since he was kind
enough to open just for me, so I bought all kinds of juice, chips,
candy, and of course the much sought after ice cream treat. Now I
think I am pretty much set on the junk food quota for the next few
days. Tomorrow? The Big Meadows wayside and lodge. Uh huh. Gotta love
the Shenandoahs.

I also had a nice lunch break with some dayhikers in one of the
shelters while a rainstorm passed by. I want to thank John and Rebecca
for the fruit and nuts today. That was such a special treat. I shared
the orange with some other hikers I ran into later this afternoon.
Happy Anniversary to you both.
Oh, and I am extremely pleased to report that with their infinitely
superior customer service, Big Agnes is fedexing me a replacement pad
to the hostel where I am staying a night this weekend. Eeeeexcellent
(in a Monty Burns raspy voice)!

No comments:

Post a Comment