Friday, June 11, 2010

No bears today

Well the good news today is I did not see a single bear. I did get
stung, amazingly, three separate times by three different types of
bees. One had the audacity to go up my shorts. Another nailed poor
Marge right in the middle toe while I ate lunch, and another got me in
the thigh. #%*@$! I have to say that Afterbite stuff works wonders.
I had a lovely 18 mile walk to the Gravel springs hut where I am
camped. The weather was nice and the terrain was fairly easy. I even
had a chance to stop at the last of the SNP waysides for one last
grilled cheese sandwich. It is completely ridiculous how much I
personally contibuted to Aramark's (the concession company running all
the restaurants in the park) bottom line as I hiked through SNP. The
prices of food in those places is absurd, although you really cannot
beat the convenience.

Tomorrow I will arrive at a hostel where I can shower and get
resupplied for a couple of days. It is also where my new sleeping pad
is awaiting my arrival. Yay, sleep!
I will be in Harpers Ferry by Tuesday. It's hard to believe I am
almost halfway there. Virginia has been gorgeous. West Virginia here
I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment