Monday, June 21, 2010

Truce!

Well I have read the list of demands and I have agreed to meet as many
as I possibly can. They will get a half a day off tomorrow (I am only
12 miles from Boiling Springs, PA) and POSSIBLY part of the day
after...IF they are good. I cannot guarantee a pedicure or a massage
but I can tell them that there is a new pair of boots and a dip in a
swimming pool in their immediate future.

I have no idea how I was actually able to make it 17 miles today or 21
yesterday for all the blueberries everywhere! They are along the
entire trail around here. It's absolutely wonderful. Free range
blueberries. I'm all full of antioxidants now. The blackberries are
ripening as well. Mmmm. Breakfast has never been sweater...or
sweeter. Whichever.

So I stopped today at a shelter for a quick break and met this sobo
named Siren. Were you not paying attention? I already told you that
meant southbounder. Anyway, he turned around and pulled a giant IGUANA
out of his pack. No, I am not kidding! A huge beast of a lizard. And
he was actually carrying fresh apples and grapes for "Moe" to eat! If
I was carrying fruit, let me tell you, I assure you I would be the one
eating it. Wow. That is even wierder than Star Wars action figures.

Today was also the last of the parks. Every day for the last 4 days, I
have hiked through a state or county park. The park du jour was Pine
Grove Furnace SP, which is the home of the "Half Gallon
Challenge".... Where hot and sweaty thru-hikers stop in this store,
pay way too much for a crummy not even half gallon...1.5 quarts...(ok,
like that isn't enough), carton of ice- crystally, low quality, (I
don't like Hersheys ice cream but I have been scolded for saying that
out loud since we ARE in PA, but oh well...) ice cream as fast as they
can without vomiting. I am glad to report that I was able to
gratefully decline the fine offer, happily ate two nutty bar ice cream
bars, and I am sitting here WITHOUT a stomach ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment