Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Only 989 miles to go...

Well I am happy to report that Marge and Lefty are feeling much better
these days. Remember back when I caught my sock liners on fire? It
dawned on me that shortly after that was when I started getting
blisters again. I have not found anyone who sells them yet but
somebody told me they had tried pantyhose and it worked. No, I am not
wearing pantyhose, but it got me thinking about those thin socks
people wear instead of pantyhose, and sure enough I found a pair of
black trouser socks at the Amish grocery store! Of course I am
stylin' in my shiny black stockings sticking up above my hiking
socks...I might just start a new trend here. Black socks pulled way
up...yeah that's cool...oh wait that's already been done. Oh well.

Last night we stayed in town so we could shower and do some laundry.
Everytime I watch tv now I am stunned at not only the stupid
commercials that incessantly scream at you to actually "ask your
doctor about blah blah blah" (really? I should tell my doctor what to
prescribe me?), and "if you've been in an accident call such and such
attorney to get the money you deserve..."(oh, that's right, I'm an
idiot but I should sue somebody...), but the reality tv shows that, I
guess, somebody is watching, are what truely make me wonder about the
future of humans. I mean really...."Dance Your Ass Off"??? I guess
because they put asterisks instead of the "s's" it makes it an
appropriate name for a television show? Somehow "Dance Your A**" Off"
is better??? Really? And then there is the show itself. Have you seen
this? It's like the Biggest Loser meets The Gong Show. You don't
remember The Gong Show? Good. That means either you're too young or
you had more sense than to watch stupid tv shows way back then too.
Anyway, the point of this rant is that we had an idea. We are going to
make our own reality tv show, since apparently any ridiculous idea is
not only considered but actually made....It's called "Hike your Ass
Off". And we would find unhealthy, unfit people that didn't know
anything about hiking and put heavy boots on them and give them a
really heavy pack and drop them off at Springer, and tell them to walk
to Maine! Oh wait, that already happens. Okay, so here's a
twist...other hikers can vote the mean ones off the trail. Cool! We
are still working on this one...so stay tuned.

We hiked about 19 miles today to this really nice campsite near where
two streams intersect. It is about 18 miles from Port Clinton, PA.
This morning the trail was a 6 inch swath of dirt and rock completely
surrounded by poison ivy. It was impossible to avoid touching it and
sometimes I brushed past it on trees at shoulder height and arm level.
I am thinking as positively as I can about this situation but I think
the next few days should prove to be pretty interesting.

3 comments:

  1. So nice to catch up with you today. we live on a barrier island off the coast of ga and I have not been to town for a shopping trip since Thanksgiving. did go one day to take DH to dr., but right back. So, my point? I don't watch much TV either! lol and find it so intersting what someone will watch! I'd like to see someone plunked here with not stores, fast food, mail, way to get off, etc. I am so happy to know that I am happy with myself, and so ar you and so many folks. Unfortunately, it's an oddity in this day and age. I need to make you a quilt to celebrate your FINISH!!! :) So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on the TV BS, I am not a fan, don't watch and haven't missed it one bit in the almost 3 yrs it has been since watching last. I am feeling your pain with the poison ivy. This is my 1st year ever getting it. Mine is not weeping but always spreading. Annoying and itchy for sure. Hope you don't get it. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new reality show idea is Priceless!

    ReplyDelete