Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bears, bears everywhere!

So you know how I said I always see bears but they are usually just
tree stumps or big rocks next to the trail? Well today they were not.
As soon as I got out of my tent this morning, I saw the bear I had
been hearing all night. He was up in the smallest, thinnest tree,
eating berries, paying no attention to me at all. Then he climbed down
and ambled away. Later today, I saw another one up the embankment
watching us as we hiked by. There seem to be a LOT of bears in this
park. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has seen at least one.

This national park is the complete antithesis of the Smokies. Where we
only crossed one road in the Smokies, we cross Skyline Drive multiple
times a day here. And today we found the first of many "waysides".
Yes, a restaurant and a campstore right off the trail. So after 7
miles of hiking this morning, it was a grilled cheese sandwich and
french fries....and....a nutty buddy ice cream bar. That really
didn't do much for my high mile day itinerary. Then there was the case
of the poorly marked section of trail which led to about 3 miles of
completely unecessary hiking, not including side trails to unecessary
food. Dont even get me started on THAT. So I have to admit that today
seemed somewhat counterproductive.

Although the weather really was gorgeous and absolutely perfect for
hiking, I was dragging today from too little sleep. I got in late last
night and the only tent spot was rocky and very unlevel (so much so
that even I could tell it was totally slanted). But worse than that,
am sad to report that there is still a leak in the beloved Big Agnes.
I am working on a solution and I am sure you will hear all about it.

I just looked outside the tent and amazingly there is ANOTHER bear up
in the tree right next to me. This place is infested.

No comments:

Post a Comment