Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Roller Coaster strikes again

All I have to say is the "roller coaster" kicked my arse today. I have
three "bumps" of it left on the profile map for tomorrow morning. I am
pretty sure the humidity today was at least 900%. The bugs were out in
full fighting force. Today was definitely one of those physically
challenging days as well as mentally. I ran out of water at one point
and when I started asking myself, "Where am I going to find water?"
the skies turned black. Literally. It got so dark I almost pulled out
my headlamp. It started to rain softly and I still had one last huge
climb. (Ask and you shall receive, right?) After all that, about an
hour later, me and two other hikers were in a Cadillac...complete with
leather seats...driven by A.T. book author "Skywalker" cruising to
Mcdonalds in where else? Purcellville, Virginia. We saw him at the
Bears Den hostel and he offered to drive us to the nearest town to
eat. Then we got lost on the way back. You just never know where the
day will take you some days.

I walked past a logging operation today. After hearing the chainsaws
for what seemed like miles, I then heard the huge crash. It was a very
sad noise. Later, I heard what had to have been a racetrack. Either
that or some town near here has a serious cruising problem. So yeah,
that's about it for today. We hiked about 19 miles here and have 21
tomorrow to get into Harper's Ferry.

No comments:

Post a Comment