Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Hiker Feed"

Ever heard of a "hiker feed"? Well I had not until today. This is
trail magic of the highest order. I am not talking about the {awesome}
cooler on the side of the trail near a road crossing full of sodas on
a hot day. (Thank you to those who put the awesome coolers full of
sodas on the side of the trail near road crossings on the hot day!!!)
This was something entirely different. Ann, Loon, Signage, and
wonderful others whose names have escaped me, made quesadillas over
hot coals, greens, cookies, fruit salad, couscous salad, quinoa, tofu,
lasagna in a Dutch oven, cheese rolls, spring rolls, and everything
you can imagine. It was a spectacular feast. THANK YOU!!!
As I sit here absolutely stuffed, I am thinking about how mind
boggling the generosity and thoughtfulness of others can be. We were
discussing, as we sat around pigging out all evening, that if the rest
of the world treated eachother like hikers treat eachother, the world
would be a better place. (Most trail magic is hosted by hikers or
former hikers).

Of course the best trail magic is seeing loved ones after being on the
trail for months. I am lucky enough to have one meeting me tomorrow.
After hiking 14.5 miles in the morning, I am meeting Drew and spending
a couple of days with him. Thank you for driving so far to see me! I
can't wait to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment