Monday, May 24, 2010

Friday...

Waiting for it to rain...again. I was lucky to stay dry while hiking
today. It was really dark with ominous clouds and high wind all day.
But it never did rain. It's supposed to rain overnight and tomorrow as
well. The trail was really rocky so I'm glad it was dry.

The trail was really beautiful today. I was up on a ridge for a good
portion, then following a cascading stream for a while, and through
ferny meadows. The mountain laurel and flame azalea is in full bloom
and it is gorgeous. It reminded me of hiking in the Cohuttas quite a
bit.

I know, I know...you want to know how the cold food thing is going
don't you? Well, I had a delicious whole wheat tortilla with smoked
salmon (yeah the kind from a foil pouch, but good nonetheless), pepper
jack cheese and sliced tomato. It was spectacular! Yes, I packed 2
tomatos, an avocado, 2 oranges and 2 bananas out from town yesterday.
And yes, my pack weighed 435 pounds...at least. I have really enjoyed
having the fresh food, but it has also been difficult carrying the
extra weight. I am trying to come up with a new plan for next week. Or
find a sherpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment