Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Monday sometime in May...

Today was totally awesome! Hiking through the the Grayson Highlands is
spectacular. There are wild ponies with their foals everywhere. I
stopped at the Thomas Knob shelter for lunch and a couple of them just
walked right in the shelter. They were pretty tenacious about trying
to convince me to share my food with them. They didn't offer to carry
my pack for me the rest of the day so I had to decline their requests.

I am so proud of Marge and Lefty today. They did a fantastic job
carrying me 17.3 miles today. They only complained a few times. I am
actually sleeping in the Wise shelter tonight, as it is supposed to
thunderstorm tonight. I thought I could at least avoid packing up a
wet tent. Now on to more important things...dinner. I had a special
treat tonight. Somebody gave me some bacon bits made from tofu. Yep,
they went into my mashed potatoes. Yum.

I hiked past a huge crop of pink ladyslippers this morning. There must
have been 50 of them. I saw a few red columbine, tons of trout lilies,
ramps, star chickweed, and one white flower that I was not familiar
with. It had two completely different size blooms on it. Tomorrow is
my first "scheduled" twenty mile day. I will tell you how that works
out later...

No comments:

Post a Comment