Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sunshine!

Wow. What a difference a day can make. Today was beautiful. I had an
interesting hike out of Pearisburg this morning. Coming into or out of
towns is always interesting. Usually the trail will end up in
somebody's side or back yard eventually. Today it weaved in and out of
yards, back into the woods (you know, the urban kind...pine forests
covered in poison ivy), up neighborhood streets, over a huge bridge,
beside a highway more like an interstate...it's a jungle out there.
Somebody I have been hiking with for a few days got lost twice today,
before the trail ever made it into the woods.

I saw a huge 5 or 6 foot black rat snake this morning. This fella had
just had some kind of massive lunch. He was hanging out next to the
river. I also saw a toad and some deer. That about wraps up the
wildlife for the day, other than hikers.

I am camped up on a ridge in a meadow area, with a nice view of
sprawling farmland down below. I got a late start this morning and had
a somewhat leisurely 12 something mile hike today with a 2 hour break
at a gorgeous lunch spot. I was taking time today to stop and smell
the flowers and I am glad I did. They smell wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you like comments or not, but just thought I would finally take the time to tell you I am enjoying reading along as you hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and how far you have hiked since I met you at New Found Gap!
    You have such a great positive attitude which is serving you well.
    Stay safe and continue enjoying the journey.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete