Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saturday

Yesterday, I hiked down a mountain to find a river that was big enough
to get into and take a little dip. That is so totally refreshing on a
hot steamy day. Today I found a creek but it was more like standing in
it than swimming. Marge and Lefty enjoyed it though. What I did find
today, after a gorgeous hike up and over several grassy balds, was the
Chestnut knob shelter overlooking Burkes Gardens (otherwise known as
"God's Thumprint") where I stopped for lunch. There were some
dayhikers having a picnic. They were so kind to share their
leftovers. I had an absolutely awesome tomato sandwich and cookies and
they gave me their extra veggies to take with me! Thank you guys! So
then tonight for dinner, I had lettuce, onions, and green peppers with
tuna in a tortilla. Fabulous! Not only did Iuck out for lunch, but at
the bottom of the mountain this nice couple had left a bag of cold
sodas. What a treat. The generosity and thoughtfulness of complete
strangers has completely awed me.

So here I am, in my tent listening to a ferocious thunderstorm. It has
been raining hard for about an hour. This is about the time you figure
out how well you picked your spot to put the tent. So far so good
tonight. No waterbed effect. Last night I slept in the shelter, so
when it started thunderstorming, it didn't matter. I just thought it
might be fun to carry around a wet tent tomorrow for a while. Just for
kicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment