Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thunderstorms on a Friday afternoon...

Although I am in my tent listening to a raucous thunderstorm outside,
today was mostly sunny and hot. I just made it to a perfect camping
spot and got the tent up just minutes before it started coming down in
buckets. It was really muggy and still today, so it felt particularly
good to sit in the middle of Jennings creek. Lots of people went
swimming, enjoying a lazy afternoon until it started thundering.

Tomorrow, Saturday, is one gargantuan climb pretty much all day,
gaining over 4,000' in elevation total. I have been studying the
profile map for tomorrow's hike for over a week and have been dreading
this seemingly never-ending climb. The good news is that there is
rumor of trail magic (read: real food) hosted by a local trail club at
one of the points where we cross the blue ridge parkway tomorrow. Yay.

One thing I have noticed since going to all cold food is how food
preparation is incredibly fast. I am usually done eating by the time
most people have their water boiling. So far, my favorite dinner is
tuna, cheese, and (lately) sliced tomato on a tortilla. Of course
after almost slicing my finger off last night, I am much slower in my
food preparation. Don't worry mom I have a well stocked first aid kit
and I am slowly but surely learning how to properly use everything in
it.

No comments:

Post a Comment