Monday, August 16, 2010

Rain delay at Crawford Notch...

Well, Mount Washington is just going to have to wait a day. I awoke to
steady rain this morning with a forecast of possible thunderstorms.
This is a mountain that calls for clear skies. Of course after we made
the decision to wait until tomorrow, as usual...right on cue, the sun
popped out. Uhuh. That's okay, I needed the afternoon to dry
everything out from setting my tent up in a depression in a mossy bog.
That's right. There was a nice brown puddle of water in/under/around
well, not much, just everything I own. That's okay too, because the
sun that popped out unexpectedly dried everything nicely. Again.

Today, makes exactly five months I have been on the trail. My
calculations put me on Katahdin almost exactly six months from my
start date. With 345.1 miles...approximately... left, I can sense the
end drawing closer. With so many pages from my guide book gone, the
reality of finishing this amazing adventure looms large.

I am going to sleep now. I have to rest up for a FIVE THOUSAND foot
elevation gain climb in the morning. Why do all the big mountains have
such low river valleys in between them??? A hiker from Maine, in his
thick Maine accent, told me back in the beginning, "If you don't like
the gaps you're gonna hate the notches!" Well let me tell you. NOW I
know what he was talkin' about (in a thick Georgia accent). I'll be
okay, I am eating a Whoopie pie for breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the white mountains...so happy for you and jealous at the same time! Good luck my friend....be sure to moon the Cog Railway....it's tradition. Try not to be too disgruntled with the types of peoples you'll see atop Mt. Washington...with their flip flops and such...

    If you stop at Lake of Clouds hut...I'm in the registers..in the June or July months for the years 2006, 2007 and 2009...some years have more than one entry....take care!

    Muah!

    Yurani

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said before, you're now in one of favorite places in the world. I'm living vicariously through you thinking back 40 years ago when I was a young hillbilly kid from East Tennessee running the AMC trails with cans of beans and bags of flour on my back. Be as obnoxious (as your southern lady raising will allow) to the tourists on Washington - do it for this former "filthy hippy". Dave Teffeteller

    ReplyDelete