Friday, August 13, 2010

High on Whoopie Pies

Did I mention New Hampshire was steep? These mountains go straight up
and straight back down again!
All I can say is wow. Moosilauke is absolutely beautiful. We were
above treeline, saw alpine meadows, and followed a waterfall all the
way down to the bottom. The hike was not even as hard as I imagined.

Today we climbed the Kinsman(s) and saw more beautiful scenery than I
can even describe. Due to some confusing trail intersections and a mob
scene of tourists at the Lonesome Lake Hut, we ended up tacking on a
few more miles than we anticipated. It turned out to be over an 18
mile day, which for the Whites, is a lot. Needless to say, I am
totally pooped.

However, I have made an amazing discovery.... The WHOOPIE PIE. Those
of you from the south, like me, may not be familiar with the whoopie
pie. Apparently this delectable treat is as well known and well loved
as the moon pie is in the south. (Yuck! I say!) These things are way
better. They are nothing but pure sugar in one form or another. Two
round pieces of chocolate cake with a hurt-your-teeth sugary icing in
the middle. Someone first gave me half of one last night, that's right
half of one, and I stayed awake with a sugar buzz for I don't know how
long. We decided that was definitely what we were going to buy to take
with us today to eat before the second 2,000' elev gain climb and we
all ran up that mountain like we were on fire. Seriously. The power of
sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment