Saturday, August 7, 2010

I have cankles

Yes. It's true. And don't let any hiker tell you they don't get them
because they do. You take a day off (two days ago had a great day off
at the Inn at Long Trail near Rutland, VT...a terrific lodge and one
of my favorite places along the trail) and blamo! You don't know
where you feet start or your calves stop. Cankles. I am not sure what
happens exactly.

Today was blackberry heaven. They were everywhere. I feasted for
thirty minutes in this one patch. Of course when I finally dethorned
myself I look like I had lost a fight with a cat....or twelve. It was
totally worth it.

After a couple of really hard long days, I am camped in West Hartford
in the back yard of two of the nicest people. The trail goes right
through town and Steve and Kathy let hikers camp in their yard and use
their water spigot. We ate sandwichs, chips, ice cream, and drank
sodas at the little general store two doors up. The weather was
fabulous with a bright blue sky all day. I used my sleeping bag for
the first time last night and it was so cold I stayed zipped up in it
all night. Life is good.

Remind me to tell you the story of the privy pig some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment