Monday, August 30, 2010

How Rabid got her mojo back

What a super hike today! It was a difficult 17 miles, but it felt
great. We climbed huge mountains, saw several beautiful ponds, and
made excellent progress in a northernly fashion. It did, however, take
us almost 12 hours.

Tomorrow we summit Saddleback mountain, and another 17+ mile day.
That's alright, I am feeling much better than just a few days ago. The
weather has a huge amount to do with it. It was an absolutely
beautiful day. I also have been hiking with someone the past day or
two that is finishing up his 10 year section hike by doing the last
section to Katahdin. I am lucky because he's a psychotherapist. I
traded him a quart sized ziploc bag for my session today. As much of a
fan of ziploc products as I am, I think I got the better end of the
deal. It was a fancy double zipper one, though.

One potential issue that I see developing rather quickly is the rapid
deterioration of my hiking clothes. The duct tape is not staying on
the back of my shorts and a new tear has begun as well. My wicking
shirt is in the process of coming apart at every seam. If I counted
the holes in it, it would probably be around 20 or so. It's like they
get so funky and overworn they begin a slow suicide. Its like it just
doesn't want to be a shirt anymore. I am going to be standing on top
of Katahdin with nothing on but a few scraps of material. I talked
with one guy who said he was going to summit naked (you're a total
freak). So at least I will be in good company, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment