Monday, August 16, 2010

A moose on the loose

Of course the highlight of any day in the whites is the peak of
whatever enormous mountain you happen to be climbing, however, today
we saw a moose. My first moose on the AT, and my first bull moose
ever. He was huge! He was in a pond mostly with his head under water
feasting on whatever aquatic plants there are, but when he lifted his
head out of the water... Wow! It was very exciting.

So far, the most amazing views have come from the Franconia Ridge
including mountains Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette. There are no
words to describe this above the treeline ridge walk on top of the
world. This was so worth the truely exhausting climb. In fact, the
past several days have left me so anxious to crawl into the sleeping
bag the second I reach my campsite I have not been writing any blogs
or journals or anything. Today was no different but I am excited about
the next section of trail and of course the whole moose encounter. The
next mountain to summit is the one and only Mt Washington. I have been
looking forward to this for a very long time. Unfortunately, they are
calling for thunderstorms and that could certainly put a damper on
things. We agreed we were going to delay summiting Washington until
nice weather since it can get really nasty up there. Someone even said
something about snow. Huh.

1 comment:

  1. The Mahoosuc Notch is awesome! Be careful as it's very technical with a pack on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete