Friday, August 27, 2010

Rabid 1 Mahoosuc Notch 0

(Thursday)
The Mahoosuc Notch. The guide book poses it as a question. The most
fun or the hardest section on the Appalachian Trail? I cannot say it
was the most fun but it was scary as hell at times. I was so happy it
wasn't raining but it was slippery as could be. I had been anxious
about this section including the infamous Mahoosuc Arm (crazy uphill
climb afterwards) for several days. Our daily mileage has taken a nose
dive the past two days. It is taking us two more days to get to
Andover than we planned. It's a good thing we both pack too much food!

Some exciting milestones this week though...crossing the Maine border.
The last state line crossing. That just seems unreal. Also, we are now
camped at mile 1,907.7. The next 271 miles do not seem like easy ones
from what I hear from the sobo's. Beautiful? Yes. Easy? Not so much. I
am going to have to say, so far, Maine is kicking my butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment