Thursday, March 25, 2010

The universe provides everything we need exactly when we need it

Today it brought Bill and Jeff. So here I am hiking in the rain and
the wind and even hail (what a hoot) and around the corner is Bill and
Jeff with a big tent. Now I have read about trail magic but, man did I
see some in action today! These guys were out here in the nastiest
weather grilling up CHEESEBURGERS for thru-hikers! I could hardly
believe that anyone would be that giving. What an effort! I was
talking with some other hikers later and we all agreed that it
inspired us all to want to do trail magic for hikers in the future.

I know what you're all thinking, yes I am a vegetarian...but not
today. (Of course it wasn't until I was snarfing down the second one
that I learned they had veggie burgers. It's not like I was going to
ask to see the menu). I don't think so. It's called being flexible
and grateful and when somebody is out in nasty weather wanting to
grill you a cheesy burger, you eat it! And maybe another! And you
love it! Bill and Jeff, you guys are totally awesome. Thank you.

I hiked 12.6 miles today from the Blue mountain shelter and up and
over Tray mountain. It was so much easier than I had remembered. I had
been dreading that climb all along. Who knows maybe it was the
cheeseburgers. Ha.

4 comments:

  1. I am loving this blog. Collin, you are a gifted writer and paint great pictures. However, I would enjoy seeing pics of where you are sleeping and eating and of your camping companions. If you have battery power and bandwidth, please post. Otherwise, we will continue our vicarious journey with you.
    Since we are not hikers we are curious about the details. We are following your advice to get outdoors by taking the doodles to Woodring and Jackrabbit. Happy trails!
    The Doodle Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blogs. As you know Tray mountain is my FAVORITE hike. Glad you are hving fun.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheeseburgers on Tray Mountain? Sounds wonderful. I agree with Mary, pictures would be a great addition. Hope the weather improves but enjoy all of it.
    Anonymous parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, makes my mouth water! I believe Jimmy Buffet describes your day:

    Cheeseburger in paradise
    Makin' the best of every virtue and vice
    Worth every damn bit of sacrifice
    To get a cheeseburger in paradise

    ReplyDelete