Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ahhh...the aptly named Blood Mountain

Ok. Well. What can I say other than this day did not end quite as I had expected.

After setting up camp next to King Krawler (thanks for sharing the last flat piece of earth for miles!), Jillian, Skyler, and Dan, we all proceeded to do our usual camp chores: getting water, cooking some kind of dried or freeze dried mush that is actually quite palatable after hiking all day, hanging the bear bag, etc.
After a 15+ mile day I thought I would sleep really well. Unfortunately the throbbing in my feet only grew worse and awake I lay for what seemed like hours. After an overnight rainstorm, we all awoke to a fairly nice sunny day. The burning that I felt on the bottoms of my feet had turned into bloody horrible blisters overnight. After completely raiding my first aid kit and using anything and everything in it (not to mention Drew's safety pin), I was ready to stumble on over the mountain.

The climb up Blood Mountain was nothing compared to the knee jarring scramble back down the other side to Neels Gap. Favoring the less blistered foot, I seem to have tweaked my right knee a bit. I have to say, I was humbled by the days journey. With all the experience I have not only hiking, but with blisters and pain, I did not listen to my own body's screams for help. I did not stop and apply anything to my hotspots AND I hiked way too many miles at an incredible pace only two days into my journey.

Yes, I will admit it, I acted like a compete over-zealous novice and now I am paying the price. I am off the trail until my wounds heal (or I can walk, whichever comes first).  Thank you Chris Hall, the most awesome Leki rep ever, for hooking me up with those great "Orthosoles" inserts and helping Drew to convince me into taking a couple of zero days to recuperate. Thank you Doug & Irene for traveling all the way to Blairsville to rescue me (from myself)!

It goes without saying, I am learning patience, and I am anxious to return to the trail....of course at a more moderate, less psycho-hiker pace.

3 comments:

  1. Good sense shown through on a otherwise rainy and cloudy day.
    Anonymous parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was nothing worse, now you can say you know the "agony of de-feet" oh, I am sorry for that one. Love ya, mean it!
    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer, ouch! I hope you heal fast and I hope you are inside this morning - it is snowing at my house!

    ReplyDelete