Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Monday 3/29/10

I guess no day really ends like you totally expect it to, but some
days are particularly surprising. Yes, I know, this is not the first
blog entry to begin this way...
My plan was to hike from the Carters Gap shelter, where I spent a long
rainy night packed in like sardines with 6 other wet smelly hikers, up
and over the notorious Albert mountain, about 12 miles to Rock Gap. I
had arranged to meet Drew and take a zero day in Franklin to resupply,
get cleaned up, and to wash clothes. As soon as I got to the top of
Albert Mtn, within sight of the tower no less, I was taking a step up
the last rocky outcropping looking for a handhold, when my pole
slipped catching my finger on the way down and badly dislocating it.
However grim the situation seemed, the universe provided a miracle
when I took out my cell phone and even though I had NO SERVICE it
connected the call and I was able to call Drew to arrange a new and
improved meeting spot. I had crossed a forest service road at Bear Pen
gap earlier and another hiker, Freeman, volunteered to drop his pack
and carry mine back down the mountain a half of a mile or so. (Thank
you Freeman!) "Fishing Fred" (kindly making french toast for thru-
hikers back up the road a bit... in the rain of course! Thank you
Fishing Freds' "trailgate party"!) arranged for "Uncle Wally" to drive
me up the forest service road closer to the intersection with the main
road so Drew could find me faster.
So long story, longer...after some very entertaining x-rays, and a fun-
filled afternoon of manual falange manipulation and traction...a.k.a.
Finger torture, my finger is still pointing only slightly in the
wrong direction. We are still working diligently to correct this
affliction (more torture, but at least this time with some kindly
donated pain pills - thank you local drug dealers-names withheld!!!)
and get thee back on course. Unfortunately, this might take a few days
to heal, so I look forward to reporting some positive news soon.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is bringing it all back to me. I think about you every day when I watch the weather report, when I walk up the hill on Turkey Knob, when I step outside at night and see the stars. You're logging more miles/day than I did by far but seem to be acclimating well. Sorry about the slip and the finger. I hope that is the worst that happens and that is behind you. You were the subject of conversation at the GAFW mailing party yesterday; all sorts of good wishes coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly an inspiration Collin! I have been following your progress and always am in awe of your undertaking, and feel your determination in every word you write. Hope finger is feeling better...ouch:( I say "you go girl"!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noooo!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your finger. Hope it heals quickly!
    Like Nancy said... YOU are such an inspiration, lady. I brag about you and your journey to every person I know. Best of luck! MISS YOU TERRIBLY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of Lori's friends whom she's been bragging to about your adventure. YOU GO GIRL!! Sorry to hear about your finger, but you seem to be the type of person to prevail over just about anything. I'm seriously considering a long thru-hike myself, so you can believe I'll be reading about your journey to the end. GOOD LUCK!!
    -carolyn

    ReplyDelete