Sunday, March 28, 2010

Just another day in the life

This thru-hiker lifestyle is incredibly interesting. Until I actually
left Springer as one, I really had no clue. Just for an example, I
had the realization that pretty much everything I drink comes from
this dirty little tube from behind my back consisting of a combination
of various creek water, complete with dirt and leaves, accidental
remains of Gatorade (that orangy flavor just never goes away), and
chemicals I would not have even considered putting in my body only a
few weeks ago. The level of grunge that becomes an everyday occurance
is pretty amazing as well. "Am I really going to put THOSE socks on
again?" Well the answer is, no matter how smelly they are, "Of course
I am...they are the only DRY ones!" Not to mention the food, which
seems to become less of a delicacy (I used to love peanut butter) but
simply calories and fuel to get you up the next mountain. It is
certainly an adjustment, but make no mistake about it, it is all worth
it. The people you meet are fascinating (and thankfully just as
grungy). It is lot easier to be nonjudgemental when everyone you see
is getting their butt kicked by mother nature just like you. But I can
tell you this much; everytime you see someone you met at the last
shelter, or the other day on the trail, it's just like seeing an old
friend. And that my friends, is hard to beat.
-Rabid

2 comments:

  1. Collin, I completely understand the grungy feel of being in the woods for multiple days...my clothes smell like SHIT at work but you have no choice...just to keep your arms down....it sounds like you're doing great and having an awesome time!!! :) Keep rocking it lady!

    <3 Yurani

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED meeting you and seeing that big beautiful smile on the AT yesterday, just out of Newfound Gap - I will be thinking of you daily sending you BEST WISHES to finish that trail in good health, with good luck.

    Dee from Gatlinburg

    ReplyDelete