Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday

I am hanging out in a hotel in Erwin, TN.... Lovely small town USA. A
couple of other hikers and I moseyed down to the local duds n suds to
wash the trail out of our clothes. The guy that works there offered to
give us a ride to a restaurant and back to the hotel where we are
staying. It was so nice of him, especially because it was raining
buckets and we were several miles away. The best part was that "Doug"
had a small truck. I have never laughed so hard. 4 hikers in the back
of a truck in the pouring rain. I was especially surprised when Doug
turned onto the interstate. We didn't realize it was a shortcut back
to the hotel. Now that was a ride.

So where did we eat? Yep, the KFC buffet. Our choices were limited
(very limited) and of course I was all for it because you guessed
it..... All you can eat mashed potatoes. I am sad to report that the
mashed potatoes were not as good as my usual Idahoan garlic flavored
'taters out of a package. Of course they did have some nice overcooked
veggies and biscuits.

Today was a shorter day, about 11 miles, and mostly downhill. Downhill
is harder on the feet and knees than uphill. Unfortunately, my feet
are having some issues. So much so that I am taking an unplanned zero
day in this funky little town. Will keep the world updated on he
healing of Marge and Lefty (my feet).

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, say it ain't so, not Marge and Lefty again! Glad you are lying low tomorrow. Hope its enough time to slap them into shape.
    AP
    (Anonymous Parent)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Collin..Kris and Steve Saunders here..Remember us? Finally found you..on the AT of all places! Got your blog from Travis at the store in Ellijay..Miss you! So proud of you! WOW..Wish we were there! However, we are going hiking in the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks so we are still hitting the trail when we can. Planning our thru hike next year..Too bad we missed you by a year. Maybe you'll want to do it again? Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your feet..glad to hear you're doing great! It's been awesome following you along on here..

    Yurani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin I just got done reading your entire blog. I am going to do the Benton Mackaye tomorrow and though I know it will not compare to the mighty mighty AT you will be in my thoughts over the next week. Thinking about someone dangling a banana to catch a Joei. I miss you and it was great to hear your voice. I am so happy for you & Drew. Congrats. Can you pls let me know where your next post officing will be I would love to drop u a care package <3. Happy Hiking, Much Love.

    ReplyDelete