Saturday, April 17, 2010

Humdinger...I just like that word

Blah Blah Blah nice hike... Blah Blah Blah nice weather...I know what
you really want to know...what I ate for dinner, right? That is all
hikers talk about, food....and ocasionally backpacking gear. But
usually food. So tonight I whipped up another package of, you guessed
it, Idahoan potatoes. (I have never really known how to pronounce
that... "idahoan"? Is the H silent?) Anyway, in a small package (ok so
it says it serves 4...right...like I couldn't actually eat 2 packages)
of Idahoian Russet instant potatoes with "real" butter flavor, there
are 39 listed ingredients. 39! Most of which do not sound like things
you would consider eating including silicon dioxide, you know, as an
anti-caking agent. Silicon dioxide??? Are you kidding me? What's the
moral of this story? Shut up, eat your mashed taters, and quit
reading the labels.

All kidding aside, I did hike up and over Max Patch today and what a
fabulous view! The wind was so strong I could hardly stand up (so
much for camping on top). It really was amazing and well worth a trip
up there if you're looking for a special place to hike in NC. When I
got to the top I remembered being up there when I was younger but I
did not remember how breathtaking it was. I made it 15.8 miles further
north today. I will be in Hot Springs by early Sunday morning.

2 comments:

  1. I want to know what all the other ingredients are, you only mentioned one, silicon dioxide. were there any potatoes in the mix? It sounds like you are making great mileage on your "food". I bet you don't have to worry about bears getting into that kind of "stuff"
    Anonymous Parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah hot springs! be sure to stay at elmer's

    ReplyDelete