Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monday April 12?

Today I hiked 14 miles up and over Clingmans Dome (highest elevation
on the A.T. @ 6,643'). Can you say "false summits"? Everytime I
thought I was there I saw another peak I had to go up and over. What
an absolutely gorgeous hike....entered the spruce/fir forest and WOW!
It smelled like Christmas trees, which of course just made me think
about Christmas food. The views were incredible..miles and miles, 360
degrees views, ridges only as wide as the trail, and then the tower on
Clingmans dome. It was absolutely stunning.

Tonight I am in the Mt Collins shelter exactly at the 200 mile mark.
Somebody asked me what shelters were so here is my best description:
basically every 10-15 miles or so they have constructed a 3 sided
wooden or stone structure that has 1 or 2 wooden platforms that hold
anywhere from 6-12 hikers. They are sometimes infested with mice and
almost always infested with dirty hikers. They require you to stay in
them in the Smokies which means they are usually full. Very full. This
makes you feel a bit like you're in summer camp. You meet all sorts of
people from all over the place. I miss the solitude of camping
anywhere in my little tent, but I have enjoyed getting to know all
these other people immensely. It is quite the experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my friend and I met you today (13TH)on the trail just outside of New Found Gap, we enjoyed a little visit, hearing about your blog so I found you and have read all your postings...very clever and interesting...keep up the daily reports I will be following you now.
    You had just had a shower and felt so good!
    Maybe we will see you on Thursday with some good stuff to treat you with.
    We met some wonderful hikers today on our 8 mile day trip- we live in Gatlinburg so were just out enjoying the beautiful day.
    Keep safe and enjoy the journey...I agree with you that the universe provides what you need when you need it ...awesome isn't it?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Met you today just passed New Found Gap, my friend and I were heading back from our 8 mile day hike..we met some great hikers and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day.
    Enjoyed your blog, very interesting love hearing your stories.
    Be safe and have a wonderful journey.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete