Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Yo bear!"

Yesterday, I was able to confirm the rumors that there was in fact a
blind guy hiking the trail this year. I met him with his...cameraman.
That's right they're making a movie. He said he had only fallen six
times. Heck, I have fallen more than that. In fact, this guy has
ultimately changed my entire attitude about this hike. So many things
seem really petty when you know there is someone out there doing this
completely blind. Amazing. This is what got me in a better mood this
morning when I realized my Camelbak has a leak in it and drained
almost all my water inside my pack and all over the bottom of my tent.
Fortunately, the sun was out in blazing form and I was able to spread
everything out and dry all my stuff thoroughly. I was, however, very
dehydrated for half the day because all the water sources are drying
up. My book said I would cross two creeks today...the first was a mud
puddle and the second did not even exsist. It was just a pile of
rocks. So needless to say, when the trail crossed Culvers Gap and
Gyp's Tavern loomed in the distance, I went and sucked up some air
conditioning...for five hours.

You know how I have mentioned seeing all kinds of tree trunks that
look like bears? Today I saw a huge backpack sitting in the middle of
the trail. I was wondering who's it was when it got up and ran away.
It didn't go too far...just off the trail a bit so it could sit and
eye my backpack full of delicious thru-hiker food (ha). Near that
very spot, another hiker said he was awakened this morning by that
very bear stealing his pack from UNDER HIS HEAD! wow. He said all he
could say was, you guessed it..."Yo bear!". I think I would have had a
few more choice things to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment