Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mile 1634.4

Second day of 21+ miles and last night I was too pooped to post
anything (actually I did not have service where I was camped
anyway...or here either for that matter). Speaking of poop, I saw my
first moose poop on the trail yesterday. Moose poop is very
interesting because it looks like a pile of little chocolatey robin
eggs. They kind of look like some kind of Easter candy, but made of
poop. Yes, I just wrote a paragraph and used some form of the the word
poop six times.

I also had the unfortunate experience of pretty much running out of
food today. We are going into Manchester Center tomorrow so I
certainly am not going to starve, but I definitely ran low on energy
today, and had to ration out what was left in the food bag. I knew
everyone else was running low on food when I noticed the ridiculous
"lunch" we were all having. Let's see.... I was having, "put
everything I have left in one of my last tortillas and roll it up"...
which consisted of some peanut butter, the last of my granola, some
m&m's, and topped off with honey. Timber had some squished cheese on a
bagel with ketchup, and my favorite...Safari was eating a sandwich
filled with peanut butter and combo's. You just never know what kind
of crazy stuff a hiker will eat (answer...just about anything...
especially right now!).

We climbed up and over Stratton mountain today. We gained over 1800'
in elevation to turn around and drop back down to below where we
started. Vermont (or Vermud as we have come to say.... frequently) is
beautiful. On these larger climbs, we enter the odoriferous spruce/fir
forest with the blanket of soft pine needles covering ground. I think
Vermont has been one of my favorite sections so far. It just gets
better every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment