Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hello New Jersey!

I spent a hot and humid night last night camped at the Church of the
Mountain Hostel in Delaware Water Gap, PA... yes, my last night in
Pennsylvania. So far, Jersey has mostly been a nice, less rocky ridge
walk with the exception of the 98 degree super humid day. I thought I
might just melt today. A small victory was claimed this afternoon as
the 1300 mile marker was passed. I have to say though, crossing the
Delaware river this morning, mere feet away from I-80 was a
frightening awakening to the day. The screaming 18 wheelers careening
by at 65-80 miles an hour was something I will not soon forget. I
swear that bridge was a half a mile long as well.
Today we also hiked to the Mohican Outdoor Center where we paid an
extraordinary sum of money for a mediocre egg salad sandwich with a
few chips thrown in for good measure. Apparently, in this kind of
extreme heat and drought, a dollar becomes a great deal for a cold
soda...excuse me, I mean a pop. But at least it was a nice place to
cool off for a few minutes and fill all our empty, dusty water bottles.
Another cool thing about this area that I had no idea about is the
abundant use of the word "you's", as in, "Hey, how're you's doin'?" I
love it! I just do not hear stuff like that! Don't get me wrong, I
have been up this way a time or two, but I don't think I participated
in many conversations with people in a day to day kind of way. I
guess you could say, I am more used to hearing "y'all". Anyway, that
is one of the things I love about this journey.... experiencing places
that at times can feel completely foreign.

No comments:

Post a Comment