Friday, July 23, 2010

A river runs through it...

The trail, that is.

Remember how just yesterday I said it was the most perfect day on the
trail? Well, today was not. I really cannot complain, because lately
the weather has been terrific. But today? Not so much. Timber and I
hiked 18.7 miles in 7 1/2 hours. This was due to the fact it was
pouring, we were freezing, and we were making a serious effort for the
October Mountain shelter. I have often commented to myself how well
the trail has been maintained up to this point... (Thank you trail
maintainers for spending countless hours doing such hard work!)
until...Massachusetts. The trail today was really overgrown with
briars and tall wet grasses. It was like walking uphill through a
carwash...with thorns. So in a nutshell, today was the antithesis of
yesterday. I knew it was coming, too. Yesterday was TOO nice.

That's okay. I am in dry clothes in the shelter and beginning to warm
up. Everything is hanging from nails, dripping all over the place.
Once again, a soggy hiker explosion of various dirty socks, wet
shorts, and dripping gear. I was so cold when I got here, that I
immediately arranged to have my cold weather gear and clothing sent
back to me next week in Vermont...a week or so earlier than I
anticipated having it sent. I am quite sure that as soon as I have
baselayers, heavy fleece, gloves, hats, and a winter bag, it will be
in the 90's again. Thanks mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment