Saturday, July 10, 2010

Goodbye Unionville

This has been a very interesting day and a half to say the least. I
have had too many unusual experiences to even put them into words. I
have been at the "Mayor's House" in Unionville, NY. Dick Ludwig is not
still the mayor, but a wonderful man that opens his home to hikers.
With the help of Butch, who runs this unique hostel, and 82 year old
Bill, an eccentric man who does the cooking, this place provides
everything a weary hiker could need. Safari and Timber hiked out
yesterday morning, but I stayed on. I already miss them and hope to
catch them someday. I found my old friend Ace, who is recuperating
here from Lyme Disease. She is planning to hike out today, and not
knowing if there is anyone behind me that could keep an eye on her, I
decided to wait until she is ready to leave and hike with her. Before
she was diagnosed, she collapsed on the trail and Butch picked her up
and took her to the doctor. She is one of about a dozen people I have
heard that have gotten Lymes since beginning the trail. The county
with the highest percentage of Lymes is Dutchess, just across the
Hudson river and a day or so away. It's time to pull out the 100%
deet. I don't like using it and have only been annoyed enough to pull
it out and sparingly spray it a couple of times. Hearing about all
these hikers getting Lymes has inspired me to be a little more cautious.
Another interesting aspect of being here at this particular time is
being here with Bulldog (Mike Hanson the blind Appalachian trail thru-
hiker) and his cameraman Hitchcock. I have really enjoyed being here
with them, getting to know them better, and watching some of the
incredible footage of Mike accending Lehigh Gap (the mountain of
boulders sometimes called Dante's Inferno). I know I will not always
remember, but I can truely complain about nothing.

Although it is raining heavily now, I must pack my stuff and head out.
Katahdin calls my name. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment