Monday, July 26, 2010

I have never been to Vermont...

...until today! This afternoon after about 14 miles of hiking, we
finally crossed the MA/VT border. Frankly, it looks a lot like
Massachusetts. However, it is beautiful, full of white birches, firs,
and spruces. Oh and very big mountains.
We are getting back into the longer climbs and higher elevation
mountains. Only 589 miles of bigger and bigger mountains to go. Wow.
It's hard to believe with just a few miles here and a few miles there
that you can actually walk to Maine. Or at least VERMONT!

The weather was so nice today. It was probably high 70's and breezy
with passing clouds. It really was perfect hiking weather. It is so
chilly right now, I am actually wearing my down jacket. It's been a
while since I was using it for more than my pillow. Of course now I
have no pillow. Hopefully I will come up with something other than the
stuff sack full of smelly socks. Even the clean socks smell like dirty
socks. Yes I know. It's really something.

Vermont is very muddy. We have had an extraordinary amount of rain
lately. We are beginning to pass a few sobo's and they said not only
is water not an issue here, but that half the time the trail IS a
water source. Today we passed some hikers doing the Long Trail (105
miles of the A.T. are concurrent with the LT), and they said "Welcome
to Vermud". Huh. We had never heard about this notorious mud problem.
My legs, socks, and boots look like I lost a fight with a bucket of
tar. The mud here is black as night. Who knew? I has no idea I could
actually get dirtier than I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment