Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A few post hike thoughts...

As you can obviously see by the somewhat clear (ha!) picture I posted
earlier, I completed my thru-hike of the Appalachian trail today. The
summit of Katahdin was nothing like I expected....In a million
years. First of all, I have never, to this very moment actually seen
the mountain. Except for a glimpse of only part of it the other day,
it has been completely enshrouded in clouds from afar and very much so
close up. This will give you a little bit of insight into the weather
we have had in Maine. I would even have to go so far as to say, this
was the most intense hike I have ever done. Compounded by being the
end of an incredibly long journey, was the fact that I think I picked
one of the worst weather days possible. I say this now knowing that
tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the 60's as opposed to today
in the 20's with driving rain, sleet, incredible winds, and you
guessed it...snow.
I wanted to turn around and get someplace warm and dry more than once
today. But I had no intention of hiking 2,173.9 miles without
completing the last 5.2.

Remember my pants? Well. Today was their victory dance because one of
the issues I was having today was wrestling them into submission while
I climbed up the sides of slick rock faces. Not only did the snap come
off the other day, but today, the zipper fell apart (in addition to
the now 5" vent hole I had working in the back). Now,don't get me
wrong...I'm not really complaining, because they have given me not
just six months, but actually years of service. And they picked today
to die. So what happens when material gets fully saturated with water
and ice? They become really heavy. That's what. And what happens when
pants you can't keep up already become really heavy? Trouble. That's
what. So, in addition to the superbly horrific conditions, I was like
I said earlier, wrestling with pants all day. I did not see the naked
guy on the mountain today, but thankfully I didn't join him either.

As I sit here in Millinocket, Maine, warm and dry (finally!),
reflecting on the day, I am really still in shock that I am finished.
I do not have to get up and hike tomorrow? Saying goodbye to people
all afternoon that have been like family has been unbelievably sad.
Even though we were all celebrating and yelling and screaming and
wahooing all day, I will not see any of these people probably ever
again. Finishing is bitter sweet I must admit.

So what did I learn in six months of living outside? Simplicity, my
friends. There is so little we truely need. Shelter, food, water, and
a little help from our friends. Speaking of which, I want to send a
special thank you to all of you. All the support, love, comments,
emails...I cannot tell you how much it helped me through this entire
odyssey. This journey has completely restored my faith in humanity
and I am full of gratitude.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rabid. This is Safari's brother Eric. We haven't met but between your blog entries and the comments from Safari, you feel like a close friend. Congratulation on hiking the Appalachian Trail!!! and thanks for looking after my brother. We all felt more comfortable knowing that someone was looking out for him and was there to share the highs and the lows (no mountain pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great big Congratulations from my little corner of the world! I am going to miss reading about your days, but glad you have made it....I wish you success in all you want to do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collin,

    You are an inspiration - both for making the trek and for blogging about it the whole way.

    Congratulations!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so happy for you Rabid! I can only imagine (and remember) the feeling. I'll look forward to hearing how you adjust to the next few months. Keep in touch with your trail buddies as much as possible. Everyone will be a great source of support and understanding as you venture into the next journey - re-entry.
    Best to you my friend,
    DejaThru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rabid:

    Awseome Achievement!....Congradulations on doing your thru.

    Sorry that your repair kit didn't work on your Big Agness pad. Would have been nice to have it through Shenandoah NP, get good sleep and really enjoy those 20 mile days being refreshed.

    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Ming Garden in Waynesboro. It is for sure my favorite living here in the area.

    Good luck on getting assimilated back into society. I am sure that you have a different outlook on the things that really matter in life than when you started your adventure. The self-confidence you gained along the way will serve you well in your quest for happiness.

    So gratifying that I could be a part of your trail experience.

    Hobbler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Colin,

    I was thinking of you while I was in Havasuapai Falls Grand Canyon knowing you had to be just about done. And sure enough I come home and viola! Congratulations angel! I hope you can feel my hugs all over you wishing you the very best. I miss you and hope to catch up with you soon when you are home and rested.
    All my love, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations,
    You deserve the "hiking legion of merit, with many, many oak leaf clusters"!!! Incredible, awesome, stupendous... words fail.
    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the journey. You have survived the crucible. I reckon you're mantled with a humble pride, gained (and well deserved) via the blood, sweat, tears, and joys of the experience that the rest of us (non-hackers) can only imagine dimly. Thank you for your many gifts. Love Jenny and Doc

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible feet. Lesser hikers would have given up at Blood Mountain! I can only imagine the mix of emotions upon reaching the Katahdin sign. I'll be walking in your footsteps next week from Davenport Gap to Erwin. I wish I could pick up and thru-hike as you have done. Someday! I hope you're safely back in North Georgia. Now that you've sold the business, my family and I won't be able to visit you on our trips to Cherry Log. All the best!

    Ray Klahne
    aka "gearfreak"

    ReplyDelete