Monday, September 6, 2010

One more pair of shoes....

Well, my first pair of boots that I began hiking with have been called
back into action. I had bought my first new replacement pair after
about 400 miles and retired the originals because of so many foot
issues. (Marge and Lefty did not properly articulate to me at the time
that it was the inserts, socks, and sock liners that could be the
problem.) Four pair of boots and shoes later....It feels like I just
bought my most recent trail runners just a few weeks ago, but it was
back in early Vermont and I knew they would not last the whole rest of
the trip. So thanks to mom for sending the boots along with some yummy
goodies to Caratunk. It is odd to finish the hike with the same pair
I started with. But alas, I digress. The whole point of this
ridiculously long story about footwear is where my old ones ended up.
So I noticed a while back that this hiker "Cowgirl" had the same
Montrail trail runners that I was wearing. Hers were in much worse
shape than mine were in. I told her as long as the boots still fit,
she could have my old ones. We were only a half size apart and she was
absolutely thrilled to get them. One hikers trash is another hikers
treasure. Even old smelly shoes coming apart at the seams.

I have to say, the hiker box resupply has made for an interesting day
of food. Gobs of peanut butter on a dry crumbly bagel and smushed
granola bars for lunch (along with a full day supply of Starbursts
that came from the trail magic I am going to talk about in a
minute....) And for dinner? The forever loved Ramen noodles with
handfuls of everything I could find in my food bag, which today was
trail mix and Combo's. (Really? Man am I ready to eat real food again
soon!) Ok. So there was this big plastic tub by the road and a cooler.
The cooler was empty and the bin was almost empty except for the bag
of travel size deoderants and a bunch of Starbursts. Thanks trail
magic person whoever you are!! The candy is always appreciated but the
"Petal Bliss" scented deoderants hit the spot. Even Safari got in on
the flowery smelling armpit action. I of course made fun of him all
day long for smelling so girly even though the occasional wiff of
"Petal Bliss" that eminated from the both of us was a pleasant change.

No comments:

Post a Comment