Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Last night on the trail...

I am actually here. I am only 5.2 miles from the conclusion of this
adventure (not including the return trip down the mountain...unless I
just stand on the summit and declare I am through....no more hiking).
Hmmm. I am in the Birches Lean-to at Katahdin Stream Campground. It is
so surreal to be here. I cannot say this is what I thought it would be
like. Because I certainly did not picture the hike here today to be a
cold rainy endurance test, complete with two deep, fast moving fords.
I was soaked after the first one, not because I fell in, but that it
was raining, and it was so deep I was in up to my shorts and then I
leaned over to grab a boulder to keep from falling and my boots got
wet. Wetter I should say. Yes, it has been a really really long
journey here. But that is going to make it all the sweeter when I grab
that sign tomorrow and let out a WAHOOOO! this world has yet to hear.
That's what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. You did it, and now I don't have to :-) because I have lived it through your words and my imagination. Thank you for sharing your journal and your journey. It's been a great story. A big congratulations is in order!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete