Sunday, September 5, 2010

Miles to go: 151

I am enjoying the day off in Caratunk, Maine (Or Car trunk as it has
been enthusiastically named by dad). It's especially nice when the
long sought after rest coincides with the passing by of a rainstorm,
or perhaps maybe a hurricane. (We won we won we won! We got here
before the storm!) We did thoroughly enjoy the canoe ferry across the
Kennebec river. What a treat.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will be in a cell service black hole
for part of or even most of the remaining hike. Here at Northern
Outdoors (a most awesome outdoorsy hiking rafting dirt biking kind of
lodge) I am fortunate enough to be in the presence of wifi. There
apparently is no cell service for miles... As in many, many miles.
This remains true for the 100 mile wilderness I will be entering in
just a few short days. I will however, keep writing the posts, they
may just get posted all at once.

One thing we did not fully take into consideration when we decided to
come here was the inability to get to any kind of store to do a
resupply. This is where the magic of the "hiker box" comes into play.
I might have mentioned these random boxes of goodies and the not so
great cast-offs of other hikers before. Safari and I completely
resupplied ourselves from the hiker box here at Northern Outdoors.
Shocking, I know. "Sleepy" got a resupply box in the mail here with
too much food and we just happened to be there when he dumped his
entire box into the hiker box. So, thank you Sleepy's mom! As usual,
the trail provides.

1 comment:

  1. You are almost there! Hope you're having a great time and finish strong. I'm following you from Shijiazhuang China!
    Deja Thru

    ReplyDelete