Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Re-entry...part one

Coming home from six months in the woods, almost exactly, is like being released from the zoo. A realization that the world has been spinning on and on with no concern for me or my recent activities. Everything is the same, yet totally different. Although it has been only a couple of weeks, it seems like a lifetime ago that I was waking up in my tent for the last time, or collecting water from a stream to drink. Faucets are amazing! You turn a handle and water comes out. And it's potable! And don't even get me started on the wonders of refrigeration!

At first I tried to hide from the world, but that only worked for about a half a day. As friends, family members, neighbors, and curious strangers began to learn of my arrival home, the questions commenced. "What about the bears?" "What about spiders?" "What did you eat?" Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to share my experiences. However, my hike was so much more than that. It was absolutely the most incredible experience I have ever had. It is difficult to put into a few quick words all the amazing places I saw, the incredible challenges I overcame, and the wonderful people I met.
I swore I would never hike again towards the end. The funny thing is....I already miss it. At least the adventure of it all. I also thoroughly enjoyed sharing my days with you...friends, family, friends of friends, and even complete strangers. So here's the deal. As I move on to a brand new and exciting adventure, I would like to continue to share my experiences with you. So stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm looking forward to more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering when you would come out of hibernation, you should definitely think about a book, your blog posts alone would make a great one, but I am sure there is much more you could say on the subject. Something to put on your coffee table or stash away on a bookshelf for posterity, for your kids and grandkids to find someday and say WOW! The key is writing all of this down before you forget it! Good luck, hope to see you soon, looking forward to more blog re-entry stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see a new post...will stay tuned for more...when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete