Wednesday, September 15, 2010

(Monday) 15.1 miles to go...

Yet another rainy day on the AT, this one of course only stands out
because it is the second to last one. I am camping at the Abol Bridge
Campground, just past the 100 mile wilderness and just outside of
Baxter State Park. I am really here! Baxter State Park! A place I
have dreamed about for what seems like forever. It is absolutely
nothing like I expected. Shockingly, it's just like being outside a
logging camp. The only vehicles you ever see are logging trucks
carrying full loads of slaughtered trees.

We will be climbing Katahdin the day after tomorrow. It's a 30 percent
chance of showers. Or does that mean it's only going to rain 30
percent of the time? Hmmm. Today was 60 percent and it's been raining
off and on all day. But what else is new.

I also have a new blister on my toe. Yes, a new blister. I would be
surprised except it's from hiking in wet boots with wet socks. All the
time. It was nice to get here to this campground, though. Although
they do not have laundry facilities, they do have coin operated hot
showers which is a total luxury on a cold, windy, rainy day. Even if
you have to dry yourself off with a dirty wet bandana and put dirty
clothes back on. Two more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment