Saturday, August 28, 2010

What a difference a day makes.

Today was an absolutely magical day on the trail. First of all, the
weather could not have been nicer. Seriously. Blue skies, not a cloud
to be found, cool and breezy, and the best part, there was not a
single moment I thought I might die. We are staying the night at a
lovely hostel in Andover, ME, and David picked us up from the
trailhead this afternoon with a cold jug of lemonade. Now let me tell
you about yesterday.

Yesterday was a little different. After climbing the Mahoosuc Arm the
day before, we camped at the Speck pond shelter just before the climb
up Speck mountain. When we awoke yesterday, it was drizzly, cloudy,
foggy, and windy. By the time we climbed (or crawled, as the case may
have been a time or two) up and over this horrific summit, clinging to
what seemed like near vertical rock face, wet and slippery, with
nothing but small toe-holds, I was having some, let's just say...some
anxiety. The trail ever since just before crossing the Maine border
has been the roughest terrain I have ever seen. Ever. I had no idea
it would be this difficult. And, I had never had the thought of not
finishing this journey...until yesterday morning.

I continued down Speck mountain, and arrived mid morning at Grafton
Notch. A truck pulls into the parking lot and out steps "Soda Mike".
He asks us if we are thru-hikers and if we wanted a root beer (my
favorite soda amazingly enough). Unprompted, he proceeds to tell us
how a lot of hikers he meets at this point are extremely discouraged
and fatigued. He said that most of the really tough stuff was behind
us and it will begin to seem a little easier soon. These few simple
statements changed my outlook on things immediately and gave me a
renewed hope I had lost earlier in the day. In fact, when Safari told
him that he might have just saved my hike, I went over to him and gave
him a big hug. I think I surprised him half to death, getting a bear
hug from a complete stranger...that smells like a homeless person.

After speaking with Soda Mike, as well as two other hikers (older men)
that confided their own fear of these beastly summits, I feel so much
better about the remaining miles ahead. As I have mentioned numerous
times, we are all provided with exactly what we need at the exact
moment we need it. What an amazing gift. I am so full of gratitude
for not only the wonderful people I have met along this incredible
journey, but everyone that has sent all the positive encouragement
along the way. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment